The United States is now at war. Not with radical Islamic terrorists but on a new front that virtually no one is watching or even paying attention to.
Barack Obama ordered a direct military strike on Yemen and filmed the entire thing. Last Wednesday, Tomahawk cruise missiles were fired at three Yemen Houthi military rebel radar stations on the Red Sea coast.
US ruling party also authorized, filmed and promoted a very public armed attack on Yemen, Wednesday. https://t.co/hw6BLj43aG
— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) October 14, 2016
The Yemen attack was supposedly in retaliation for a failed missile attack on a United States Navy destroyer several days prior. Obama chose not to retaliate when Iran took our sailors last year, but he now apparently has the urge to flex some military muscle in Yemen.
For the past 18 months, a coalition of nation states, led by Saudi Arabi, have been locked in battle with Yemen Houthi forces. The Houthi rebels seized Yemen’s capital and deposed its dictator (who was back by Obama and Saudi Arabia) during the early days of 2015.
Since Yemen’s dictator lost power, the United States have been flying refueling missions for Saudi aircraft, offering “tens of billions” of dollars worth of weapons for the fight, and supplying intelligence. Until last week, the only direct American military action in Yemen involved attacks on al Qaeda forces in the region.
The Yemen Houthi forces were attacked on the Bab al-Mandab Strait. The strait connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden.
Houthi rebels nearly sank a United Arab Emirates ship in an effort to crumble a UAE naval blockade, which has been in place since hostilities began last March. During the battle, the rebel forces fired on the U.S.S. Mason. American sailors quickly deployed countermeasures to avoid damage to the ship.
A Department of Defense release after the incident said the United States attack on Yemeni ships was a series of “limited self-defense strikes,” but it added the naval vessels were granted permission to respond “as appropriate” to any further threat posed by the Houthi forces.
“The intent of our strikes were to deter future attacks and to reduce the risk to U.S. and other vessels,” White House Deputy Press Secretary Eric Schultz said on Thursday. “We are prepared to respond if necessary to any future missile launches.”
After the battle, the official United States Navy Twitter feed released a video of the U.S.S. Nitze launching cruise missiles at the rebel ships. The video tweet carried the hashtag #Yemen, which is commonly used by human rights activists to garner attention for humanitarian threats to citizens of the region.
What do you think about Obama’s decision to get the United States embroiled in another conflict in the Middle East?
Please share this story on Facebook and tell us what you think because we want to hear YOUR voice!