GROSS: Middle Eastern Restaurant Workers Include Horrifying “Special” Ingredient

Workers at a Middle Eastern restaurant in the United Kingdom have been sentenced after pleading guilty to adding a “special ingredient” to their cuisine — namely, their feces.

According to the BBC, Nottingham kebab restaurant owners Mohammad Abdul Basit and Amjad Bhatti were given four-month suspended jail sentences and ordered to pay a fine of roughly $288 last September after they admitted breaching food hygiene regulations.

Authorities learned about the hygiene breaches at the Khyber Pass restaurant after a June 2014 outbreak of the E.coli virus that sickened 140 people was traced back to the restaurant.

The type of E.coli virus that caused the outbreak is so rare that it’s only the second recorded case of its type in Europe, and it only has one known origin — the human gut. According to the prosecutor in the case, the men at the restaurant didn’t wash their hands after vacating their lower GI tract.

The brothers and their restaurant, where diners got more than was on the menu

The brothers and their restaurant, where diners got more than was on the menu

“You realize the way it was transmitted was by use of incorrect hand washing after using the lavatory to defecate,” prosecutor Bernard Thorogood said, according to the International Business Times. “A cough can’t do it, a handshake could if it’s an infected hand which means it was not washed after using the lavatory.”

“If you make money by supplying cooked food to members of the public, you owe a real duty of care to ensure that people will not be made unwell by your disregard for food safety and hygiene regulations. This is not simply red tape that you have failed to comply with,” Judge Jeremy Lea said while sentencing the Middle Eastern restaurant owners.

“One or two individuals indicate they have never felt so ill and thought they were going to die. Some of them were made so unwell they had to go to hospital and one 13 year old was so unwell the medical evidence was clear that notwithstanding medical treatment, she may well have died.”

Wonderful. I’m a pretty adventurous eater, although I draw the line at feces. I’m pretty sure most people do, too, and they would want to know if it was being added to their food thanks to the hygiene procedures where they’re eating.

A sickening story, which thankfully didn’t claim any lives.

H/T Mad World News

Do you think these men were punished appropriately? Let us know how you feel on our Facebook page or Twitter.

If you haven’t checked out and liked our Facebook page, please go here and do so.

Leave a comment...